Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Two Ends Of The Extremes

Today is my 1st year wedding anniversary. Is it a milestone? I think it is. Of course, I know, the journey had just only began. Living as a married couple - as we all know, means a lot of give and take and mutual understanding and compromises. But I'm not about to go into all the "Tricks Of Making A Marriage Last" as I am no expert (although - I can offer this to those whose husbands are football fans - always ask for something when he is watching football :P).

This time last year, I was enjoying the glorious day that was my wedding - together with my other half. This year, I sit back and watch in glee as my partner-in-crime - Leticia gets ready for her wedding - which is just around the corner. Of course, given my position now as a 'guest' - I can tease her endlessly and laugh at her predicaments. Ok, ok. In all fairness, I also did offer my help (still sore that I am not doing that reading!!!).

You see, Leticia and I are really two ends of the extreme. She had been planning her wedding since she was a little girl, playing with her Barbie and Ken while I never thought of a wedding even after the proposal! When we had a dinner gathering last week, I was told that I lost hands-down in terms of over-the-top wedding demands. *grin*. Whilst I had threw tantrums in keeping my wedding as simple as possible (and guests list as small as possible : read post here), she's been driving industry friends nuts with her bridezilla demands. We were told right from the beginning that we could slap her if she became bridezilla - but you know what? We couldn't and we wouldn't because we love her. Just as most of our friends from the industry let me have some of my way for my wedding, we will let her have hers :) I can remember a time when Kris slapped me for requesting for a sarong as my wedding dress.... now he's slapping Leticia for the 7-layered wedding gown (or was it 8-layers??) which he's supposed to be lugging along for her to Bali :) :)

As close friends and being in the industry as well, when we are invited to weddings - we do get all excited and we try to be really supportive by going all out in the theme and making our arrangements and planning surprises (which is so difficult because some people keep letting the cat slip out of the bag!!). Me? Believe it or not - I even went to make myself a dress with Kris for Leticia's Bali wedding as I wanted to be in the correct theme (and I know I am not the only one!)

For us - who are planning that trip to Leticia's wedding in Bali - transport arrangements - Check! Accommodations arrangements - Check! Makan-makan itinerary - Check! Spa sessions - Check! Time for our own "getting ready for the wedding" - Check! Destination weddings are usually great fun for the guests as well because it is an excuse for the guests to go on a holiday too. And trust us to have our own fun ;)

For Leticia - and all the other brides out there with weddings around the corner, as we always preach - the wedding is about YOU. So what if Kris misses a spa appointment? Right? Or if I want to cancel my accommodation at Villa Diana? (Your wedding planner will take care of this, right???) Or if someone wants beef on the menu?? Hard luck. It's your day and don't side track from that.

ENJOY YOUR DAY and bask in the glow of love as all of your family and friends celebrate with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment